Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Job

I've been at my current job for almost a year and half and I just decided that I actually liked my job. Before it was boring, non-challenging work, but in May the office manager was fired and I was put into the position. My first full (alone) week on the job, I caught the flu! And the same weekend I had the flu was the same weekend we moved into our new house. But I do love my job, it's not really hard, it's just looooong and stressful days. The most challenging part I think is having to deal with my sometimes Bi-polar, A.D.D ridden boss. He's a great guy, but when things are bad things are bad! This week was no exception! Back in the beginning of June he had decided to give us off the Monday before the 4th and the 4th. Well 3 days before the blessed 5 day weekend he changed his mind and only gave us Tuesday. He left the Thursday before the holiday to go to Florida while the rest of us dredge on. Thursday was the beginning of a very hellish week. I get a frantic call from Florida from my boss saying $20,000 is missing from the business checking account leaving him only $4,000. Our payroll for the day is over $3,000. Do the math. So I was instructed to hold all paychecks until I got the word from him. Thursday turned into Friday as I tried to find some way to make up the $20,000 deficit. I didn't succeed. So I handed out paychecks (as instructed) and went on my merry way. The return to the office Monday was better, we had received some more money in and we were good. My boss comes in Wednesday and raves at the great job we did and how he appreciates me and my energy (he's all about positive energy and attitudes and such). Thursday he's flipping out again because payroll is the next day and our payroll is over $20,000 a week and we don't have the money. Thursday he's flying around the office freaking out on the poor sales guy and just throwing a hissy. I think he barely covered full payroll this week, but thank God that week is over! The only probably is I'll see another of these weeks in about oh....another week. It's crazy I tell you! The stress of this job sometimes gets to me. I'll wake up at 8:30 AM Saturday to the shrills of my cell phone to find my boss on the other end trying to disarm the alarm or I'll have a constant flow of calls (or visits) from irrate customers. Then there is of course the staff to deal with. But none of them pose any kind of problem except maybe the sales guy. Sometimes I wish I could just go back to being the receptionist or something, but others I don't. But thank HOT it's the weekend!

No comments: