Monday, July 24, 2006

Do I Make You Proud?

Every day is a new opportunity to learn something. A new day to make oneself prouder then the last. Today was one of those days. I work in home improvement and I know jack squat about it. When I first started at my job I was the receptionist and within a years time, I made office manager. Lucky me huh? With this new position came new requirements that I had previously shunned. Now I have no choice. In order for us to build things like decks we have to have a permit from the City. The first time my boss sent me to get one I was very nervous. First. When I took over as the OM he said he didn't want me to meet with clients at their homes because I was to pretty and he didn't want to send me into some of the neighbors we worked in. However, when I found out he wanted me to go to downtown Baltimore I was shocked! There are all kinds of weird-o's and homeless people trolling the streets. What was he thinking? My first foray into the permit offices did not go so well. They turned me down. I pushed and pushed but no one would help. I came back to the offices defeated. My second time went a little smoother. I ended up getting the permit but not without substantial flirting with the robo-cop building inspectors. My third attempt was today. I was so nervous. The inspectors ask you all kinds of measurement and building questions, and I don't ever know the answers I always have to make them up. On top of being nervous I wasn't even dressed correctly. I try not to wear heels in case I need to run really fast and I try not to dress overly nice so people don't think I have money and try to rob me, and I even try not to dress as "sexy" or "pretty" as usual so the weird men don't leer at me. But anyway... I was determined to come back to the office with a permit in hand and my integrity following close behind. I get to the permit office and within 15 minutes I am on way to Rita's for a job-well-done strawberry misto. I got my permit, I answered all the questions (correctly might I add) and I didn't have even have to compromise my integrity by flirting with dirty old men. I was so proud of myself for today's achievement.

1 comment:

MomOf2nHappy said...

I am proud of you I was alwys nervouse to do those kind of things for my dad too it is just weird, however you did Congrats.! :) So when do I get my bag? You are right yur parents did promise my dad to take care of me and that it very important to stay true to, so if you guys are gettting bags it is only right that I get one too ;) Love Ya. Everything is going well i think I will call you later girly.