Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Nope-doesn't have a speech problem

Ok so in my post earlier today I was talking about little Shawn (aka The Kid) and how Shawn and I felt he had a speech problem. Well now I feel the need to correct my earlier statement and say he does not have one. After doing the book challenge with him we sent him to bed and I came out and was reading the speech book. While I'm reading it I'm like "He can say all of these words clearly" So I started reading the words to Shawn and we are both like he says those words, so we called him out to the living room. I knew he wasn't asleep yet, he goes to bed at 8, but doesn't fall asleep until like 9:30. Anyway we start quizzing him on some words that he should be able to say clearly. Run, Bring, Sun, Mother, Bath, and some others. And he says them all just fine. There was one things we noticed that he has problems with the \T/ sound. Like hurt, is hurk, after, mother, and father, he replaces the th with a d and so on. But we realized the biggest thing was the speed in which he said things. I said to him "Say 'Lets go to the beach'" He said 'Lets go to the bea" really fast but when we stopped him and told him to say each individual word he said it pretty clear. We were both relieved to find out it was just a speed and a slight fluency issue instead of something bigger. When Shawn first got custody of him at age 4 he said all he did was babble and mumble. Even when I met him in December he did the same thing. It's amazing the progress he has made since moving here in February. So now I need to make another trip to the library. We seriously go like everyday!

Now I gotta go because Private Practice is starting!! Woo-Hoo I'm so glad TV season is back. (I'm a TV addict!)

No comments: