Monday, April 30, 2007

The Age Debate

I should be sleep, but I'm not obviously. I'm still up watching The Bachelor. I had to come and post on a conversation that just happened between Bevin and Amber. Bevin who is like 28 goes to Amber who is 23 and begins to express her frustration and desperation (her word) with Andy (Bachelor) she doesn't understand how he can date a 23 and a 28 year old at the same time. She said to Amber that there is no way you can be ready to settle down at 23. Why? "I've been there and I know I wasn't. You can't be mature enough" Well of course dumb ass! Of course you were 23, you have to be 23, before you can be 28. But like Amber said your not her. UGH! That whole age argument is so frustrating to me. Hearing someone in their late 20's and so on, telling me and all the other girls how "immature" I/we are for marrying young, actually makes them sound immature. "Well I couldn't do it, so you can't either Nah, Nah, Nah" From my experiences in those situations those "older" girls always say that they know. How do they know? Everyone is different, everyone experiences life in another way. Everyone takes a path that the ones before them didn't. And just because Bevin was immature at 23 and not ready to settle down, doesn't mean Amber is. What makes someone ready to settle down anyway? A lot of sexual partners? Wow! Those are great reasons! Or wait...Is it because at 23 you haven't had enough drunken nights? You haven't worked as long? Oh! It's because at 23 you haven't experienced life and you don't know yourself. Well here's what I say to that. What better thing then to experience life with your partner? By the time your 28 what possibly have you discovered in 5 years? Yeah, you'll change, your dislikes may become your likes. You may flip-flop back and forth between careers. But why can't you experience that with someone else. No matter how old you are everyday you are going to discover new things about yourself that wasn't there the night before. Do the "older" girls think they arrived by then and don't have any more "discovering" to do?

I'm not advocating 15 year old's getting married, but I'm just saying maybe its time that all of the age critics out there mind their own business. I mean if I get divorced at 25 (which I won't) how does that affect the 28 year old's? Do they lose sleep? Money? Time out of their life? And if I do get divorced at 25 (which will never happen) think of all the things I gained in those 6 years, all of those things I learned about myself and other people (my spouse). I don't believe in regrets. Regrets is just another word for experiences. So if you get married at the forbidden age of 21, 2o, 22, or 19 and you divorce or begin to realize it's not as sweet as you thought, do the mature thing and smile on what was done wrong or backwards and learn from your experiences.

Sorry for any spelling or grammer mistakes. I am waaaaaay to tired to go back and fix anything

No comments: