Tuesday, September 19, 2006

True Friends

Friday night at Ashley & Josh's rehearsal dinner, (actually more like party. ) All of us "younger" people were up front making up silly dance moves, and Brooke came up with one called "Stab you in the back" it was kind of like the Psycho movie move. We all did it and laughed as we pretended to stab each other in the back. It was ironic (in my opinion) that we created that dance move just as we were celebrating genuine friends. In my day I've experienced a lot of stab-ige, and within the last 3 years or so friendships have begin to weed themselves out.

So myspace is taking the world over right? And sometime last week all of these new "addicts" were born and I realized "Hey, those are my friends!" So I did what any normal friend would do. I sent a friend request. Imagine my shock when I received this back "Hey, I apologize but I typically keep this site for my close friends. I hope all is well with you." So I asked the person. Was I not a close friend when I stood upfront as you took your vows? Or does knowing you for at least 10 years not classify me as a close friend either? When I went home and told Abby, she wasn't surprised. Because why? 1. This person sent her the same thing, and 2. One of this persons very close relatives told Abby a couple of weeks ago that the aforementioned "friends" wife never liked us anyway. I guess what it ends up being is that these people were in some way threatened by me, my sister, and my family. Therefore they stayed true to that old saying of "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer" But now that we live in totally different states they still can't stop the competition because if they stop it they will have to face the truth. What is that you ask? Well simple. They lost. While the rest of are moving on with our life and experiencing life, they are still no further along then they were 4 years ago.

What are the basis of this person saying we aren't close? There aren't any. Is it the fact that we moved to a different state? Or maybe the fact that we no longer live under a dictatorship?

That's why now I am so happy for where we (me & my family) are in life. We have true friends. Friends that are genuinely happy for the strides we make in life. Friends that don't talk behind our backs. Friends who don't try to bring condemnation. Friends that don't try to force their convictions on us. I never knew the true definition of a friend until I met Ashley. I can met a guy and call her and tell her about it and she's just as thrilled (if not more) as I am. She doesn't go back to her other friends or family and say that I only want a boyfriend because she has fiance. (Yes I have had that said before). And I know with Ashley that if my family were to move to Colorado and go to another church we would still be great friends! Our friendship isn't based on location.

I guess what this has shown me is that we were never friends to begin with. We are only friends when we can provide jobs, mattresses, honeymoons, money for mission trips, clothes, shoes, purses, the use of our house for various events, or just ourselves for them to walk all over.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Well you know, for someone who says they clearly despise all the gossip and back stabbing and nasty things people "so call" say about you, you sure did enough of that in your blog. Not to mention the numerous people you slandered in the very last paragraph. You brought people into this that weren't even involved and said really nasty things about them. I think that means you should take this e-mail, turn it around, and read it to your self b/c the only thing I can see that was wrong in all of this was blaming these people for doing all of the things that you just did to them. I guess that would make you just as bad if not worse. I really don't appreciate how nasty you got just b/c someone didn't except your myspace request. I am not sure that really warranted the horrible things you spouted off. Also, the real definition of a freind is someone you can trust, someone you hang out with, someone who sticks by you no matter what, and they definitely wouldn't say the things you did. I guess you weren't as true a freind to them either. One more thing you can't say someone is using you for something you (or I should say your parents) offered.

Ally said...

Thanks for the patronage!!!