Wednesday, September 13, 2006

To Jump or Not To Jump?

Yesterday was the like the worst working day of my life! It all of a sudden hit me that I do EVERYTHING and when I say everything I mean EVERYTHING. Don't get me wrong my job is not hard at all. But when you give one person the responsibilities of at least 4 people it can get very stressful. One of the hat's that I wear is accounts payable. I handle both the business accounts and personal accounts. Often times my boss will want me to call a company to get information about his account and every time I explain to him that I am not authorized to get information from his credit card company, car insurance, telephone, gym membership,etc. Yet he still makes me call. So yesterday at about 9 AM he calls asking me to do three things. All three of the task were going to require me to sit on hold for about 15 minutes (in between answering the phone) One of the things was to call his car company about payment. At 9 AM I explained to him that they may not give me any information, but I would do my best. At 9:05 I hung up. At 9:15 he calls back asking if had done two of the things. "Um, no Mr. Boss man I haven't. I was actually sitting on hold when you called but because we have no receptionist I had to hang up (after holding for 6 minutes) and answer the phone." It was after I hung up with him that I put my head down and in the midst of my tears fantasized about jumping out the huge picture window in my office. He then says to me yesterday afternoon. "Pull like 100's of resumes and schedule them" 'Okay sir, will do" then he says "Oh yeah and lets send out all 2500 of these fliers." "Um okay." then this morning he asked me if I sent out the 2500 fliers. Seriously do I look like I have 6 hands? I have to print labels, stick the labels, buy stamps, and then stick the stamps. When we had a receptionist it took her a week to do 1500. Do the math!

It's 11 AM and already the forecast is gray. I feel like I have to vomit from my super nasty protein shake. I have an iron pill stuck in my throat, I've already talked to three irate customers, and it's 11 and my boss is here already!

No comments: