Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Two Graves To Dig

When you begin a journey of revenge, start by digging two graves: one for your enemy, and one for yourself.- Chinese Proverb


Isn't that how revenge happens? I love quotes. It's one of my favorite things, see my list below. In fact when mobile texting and mobile groups became hip I joined a group that sent out daily quotes. I love them. When I find one (or when I even become inspired to write one) I love to post it here or write in a notebook or mark it down other various places.

The latest one came from the book I'm reading 19 Minutes, By Jodi Picoult. It's about a kid who's bullied in all throughout his schooling "career" and goes on a shooting rampage at the high school. It's very good and also very unnerving. I find myself wanting to stop whatever I'm doing after horrific bullying incidents are recounted and find my brothers and give them a stern talking to about bullying. However, I'm finding myself having sympathy for the shooter. I feel awful, but I can't help it. I hear myself saying "Well now I know why he killed them."

Anyway I saw this quote at the start of chapter 2 and it made me smile(not a full out smile, kind of a lopsided grin thing) because that's exactly how revenge is. I've plotted numerous revenge scenarios in my head against people but I certainly don't have the guts to do it. When I read the Proverb I remembered the story I heard a few years back about the father who found out his 2 year old child was being molested by the neighbor and he went and killed him, only to find out later, the mother made it up. I was so sad when I heard that story. I couldn't possibly imagine being in that mans shoes and the agony he must have faced.

So the moral of the story? Those out there who are thinking of caring out a revenge plot...Don't do it! You'll regret it for certain!

In case you forgot:

When you begin a journey of revenge, start by digging 2 graves: one for your enemy, and one for yourself.- Chinese Proverb

No comments: