Monday, November 26, 2007

Wounded by a friend? That's crazy talk!

I was on MySpace today looking at a friend's profile. On this particular friend's Friend List I noticed one of their friends (I've totally said the word friend 4 times in 2 sentences, actually make that 5) names and it said "Better are the wounds of a friend..." That struck my slightly odd so I Googled it to see who had said it. I was shocked-and a bit embarrassed seeing as I was a bible school student way back when and should have known this-to see that it was a scripture in Proverbs (27:6) Faithful are the wounds of a friend, But deceitful are the kisses of an enemyand then I looked up a different translation and came up with this, Wounds made by a friend are intended to help, but an enemy's kisses are too much to bear.

I'm sorry but I do know the Bible is a very truthful thing. All though at times I don't abide by everything in it doesn't mean I don't believe. But this particular verse I just can't cosign for. I mean I have been wounded by a "friend" (in quotations for obvious reasons) and I have also been kissed by the enemy and I'll tell you I certainly prefer the enemies kisses any day. Now I'll stop you right there before you leave me a comment (whomever "you" maybe) to tell me the "enemy" is the Devil. For 1. I looked it up in my Thompson Chain Reference Bible and saw no cross referencing to Satan himself. and 2. If it does mean the devil then certainly I don't want kisses from him...But let's just say for a minute that's it's a human enemy. You know the kind. The guy at work who makes his snides remarks when you walk by. The cashier at your supermarket who bangs your groceries up or how about just that nasty kid that always makes fun of your new shoes in the hallway. Those are enemies and you know they are. Their behavior shouldn't shock you, it's a daily thing with enemies, so let them kiss you because you know it's just a lie. But what about them friends. You know the kind. The coworker that talks to you every Friday about that Grey's Anatomy shocker or forwards you Perez Hilton stories but reports back to your boss that your always late or online surfing the net. Then there's that "friend" that neighborly friend that comes over to gossip with you (Desperate Housewives style of course) only to broadcast your marital problems or financial problems as soon as she goes over to Mrs. Hubers house for tea and crumpets. The list could go on and on of various types of frenemies.

Why would anyone every prefer to be wounded by a friend? It's borderline craziness. Are you a masochist? Do you like the pain and anguish a friends wounds put you through???

But yeah I just think it's a pretty weird scripture. Maybe one not to be taking literally, kinda like the one that tells you to remove your own body parts if it offends you.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I think what this verse is referring to is, when a close and dear friend may point out a truth about you that may hurt for a moment but in the end was worth the pain. The change that came b/c of the truth was worth the minor wound at the time. Where as your enemy would much rather see you fall and drown in your faults and thinks it is fun and probably makes fun behind your back as you maybe making a fool out of your self or what not. But to your face is making nice. it is not referring to the friend that thinks or acts like a close friend then wounds you and leaves you to rot.I understand where you are coming from though. and can see where you might be more willing in that case to take the kiss from the enemy. God did not however intend for us to have fake friends so in the event that we one day have real close friends and they bring to us a truth about us that may hurt at first but brings life in the end. that is what that scripture means:):) I hope that helped!!!