Friday, February 08, 2008

Things I've learned

Shawn and I have been living together now for about 8 months. And I am now finally able to understand why my parents would flip their lids over things. Here is a short list of some of the things that used to bug my parents and now bug the crap out of me:

1. Using tons of paper towels:
When I lived at home I would use like 3 or 4 paper towels at a time for ANY thing! Drying my hands, wiping the counter, drying dishes, whatever. My mom used to yell at me ALL the time. Now I know why. I swear I feel like I'm buying paper towels every other day!

2. Putting stuff in it's place in the kitchen:

Growing up I was lucky enough that my family had a housekeeper most of my life so the kids didn't have very many chores. But the one chore we always had was cleaning the kitchen up after dinner. My dad was the "cook" in my house and would flip because he could never find the right cooking apparatus when he needed it. I now realize why it is so important to put things away where they go in the kitchen. When your in the kitchen dicing and sauteing and you need a garlic press you don't have time to search for it. It needs to be right where it belongs, but sometimes those people who clean up after dinner, just put stuff anywhere!

3. Shoes in the hallway:
My mom used to have a "shoe basket" that guests could put their shoes in, well of course we used it and abused it and 10 people times 2 pairs a shoes each can add up! My mom used to threaten to throw the shoes on the lawn, and come to think of it, she did! The people I live with love to leave allllllll of their shoes up front. So annoying

4. "Uh, Have you seen my......":
My mom would always respond "I don't wear it/use it/read it/etc. How would I know?" It's annoying question that I swear I hear all the time.

5. I clean up and then you mess up!:
I clean all the time, everyday. Yet 10 minutes after I've scrubbed the sink clean, someone needs to shave, or make 5 PB&J sandwiches and leave the stuff all over. But we've come to an agreement here. We are moving in May so I feel I've put in my dues, so I've requested a house cleaner, and will be getting one. So I'll tough it out for another 3 months.

These are just a few things that I now understand why my parents would flip so much. Don't get me wrong. I love the people that I live with and they do help out a lot, but ya know every once in awhile things can get annoying.

No comments: