Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Introverted No Longer Will I Be

On Friday afternoon while watching Lifetime I had an epiphany. I realized that I am way too introverted. Everything within my daily life is about me, what I want, and how I can get. I was talking to someone a couple weeks ago and was joking about how I just wasn't one of those "Let's save the world!" kind of people. And I'm not, but I realized on Friday after saying that, that I had severely limited myself in my life experiences. Growing up in church all my life I was always taught to "spread the gospel" but the only action I ever saw was outreaches were the main goal was to just shove not Jesus, but church (and specifically our church) down their throats. There was no follow through and no general caring. It was like a trade off. I'll give you food if you come to church. And now that I'm older I don't so much agree with that tactic. The truth is I've witnessed it and it doesn't work. Churches are still empty , still filled with the same stagnate people, and people still haven't heard the true unadulterated gospel. I believe that we are to walk out this Christianity in life. People will see the Jesus in us if it's really there. I've always had trouble just going up to people and saying "I Love Jesus! Come to Church!" It's always put me off a bit. I think that in this new chapter in my life I will be able to give back to the world and community in a small way and in that people will see the Jesus in me. They will see (without me having to say or do anything) that there is just something different. They'll come to me. In John 12:32 it says "But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself." One of the definitions of the word draw is To cause to come by attracting; attract: As Christians we shouldn't be forcing people to just get SAVED. We have to attract (thus draw) them to us and to our truth.

Having said all that I have decided to send in volunteer applications to the YMCA to do some work with the kids. And I also sent in a request for the hospital because a doctor friend of ours said that the maternity ward is always looking for people to come in and just hold the babies that are in ICU. I also have always been very fascinated with special needs children. Specifically autistic children, but I can't find any programs around here that would allow me to work with them. So if anyone knows of a network that needs volunteers for autistic children let me know.

No comments: